The UnLock Math Story
UnLock Math was born from the teaching passion of Alesia Blackwood
Alesia was homeschooled starting in the 4th grade before going back to public high school. She knew from an early age that she wanted to become a teacher and accomplished that goal in 2000. A member of the Ontario College of Teachers certified in Intermediate and Senior Divisions Mathematics and Computer Science she also holds certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission to teach Mathematics grades 7-12. She brings her love of math and teaching to UnLock Math.
Alesia met Matthew in October of 2001, and they were married in December of 2002. Matthew had been homeschooled as well from the 4th grade on. As their family grew they dreamed of working together.
They recognized a need for a math curriculum that would take away the stress and frustration many parents and their children have when it comes to math. Envisioned was an online math curriculum that would take care of everything for the parent. Teaching. Testing. Grading. And in a way that’s Interesting, Engaging, and Fun! They realized that together they had the skills necessary to turn this dream into a reality. UnLock Math is formed around Alesia’s unique style of breaking math into bite-size chunks that students find easier to understand. Their online math curriculum is unlike any other, designed to reduce math anxiety & build confidence!
How is UnLock Math Unique?
- Teaching Videos that ENGAGE, EXPLAIN and ENTERTAIN! Alesia teaches each lesson as she would to a class, explaining the concepts in an engaging way and going through several examples to make sure students understand thoroughly.
- Advanced Assessment with various question types that truly assess your child’s understanding in ways that multiple choice testing simply can’t.
- Immediate Feedback & Fully Explained Solutions for each question.
- Your Child Will Only See ONE Question at a time. This method is especially important for those students who get overwhelmed with whole math pages.
- Unlimited Practice for students who need more practice to solidify new skills.
- Unlimited Review
- Gradebook & Progress Reports updated in real time so that you and your child can track progress and assignment details.
Whether you are a home educator looking for a complete math curriculum or a parent whose child is struggling in school and are in need of an online tutor, unlock math works to improve your child’s confidence, ability, mastery of concepts, and has been designed with your needs in mind.
Completely online. Easy to navigate. Available anytime.
Utilizing the most advanced Testing & Assessment anywhere. UnLock Math will put your child into a safe virtual classroom where they are the only student. No distractions. Just math. With a Passionate Math Teacher who has a proven ability to engage students and give them the skills needed to succeed, You can relax and leave teaching math to us. It’s what we love. We look forward to unlocking your child’s math potential!
UnLock Math Success Story by Ontario Creates
“I was certain we could do it!” – Alesia Blackwood
With the support of the Ontario Creates Interactive Digital Media Fund, UnLock Math has developed and designed exceptional digital learning content that now serves students in over 99 countries. Alesia and Matthew, co-founders of UnLock Math and their team are always improving their online learning platform to better serve students.