Meet the UnLock Math Teacher
UnLock Math was born from the teaching passion of Alesia Blackwood
From a young age Alesia Blackwood knew she loved math and helping others understand it. She was homeschooled starting in the 4th grade before going back to public high school. In high school she began tutoring fellow students in math and began planning to become a math teacher. She accomplished that goal in 2000. A member of the Ontario College of Teachers certified in Intermediate and Senior Divisions Mathematics and Computer Science, with degrees in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Education, she also holds certification from the Georgia Professional Standards Commission to teach Mathematics in grades 7-12.
Alesia brings over 25 years of experience tutoring & teaching math to students of varying ability. In the classroom she taught classes of special education students, Algebra II, and AP Calculus among others. One of her passions is convincing previously struggling math students that they CAN understand and excel at math. Her ability to make math easier to understand for students, helping them to see why a formula works versus having them memorize has helped UnLock Math students make 180 degree changes in their attitude where math is concerned.
A homeschool mom of 5 herself, Alesia understands the challenges faced homeschooling multiple children at multiple levels and that sometimes you have to outsource a subject or two. For families that choose to outsource math to UnLock Math she is determined to support them in every way to make sure they succeed at math.
UnLock Math is formed around Alesia’s unique style of clearly teaching math concepts in a way that students find easier to understand. Her online math curriculum is unlike any other, designed to reduce math anxiety & build confidence!
How is UnLock Math Unique?
- Teaching Videos that clearly explain math concepts while engaging students in the learning process.
- Advanced Assessment with various question types that truly assess your child’s understanding in ways that multiple choice testing simply can’t.
- Immediate Feedback & Detailed Solutions for each question.
- Your Child Will Only See ONE Question at a time. This method is especially important for those students who get overwhelmed with whole math pages.
- Unlimited Practice for students who need more practice to solidify new skills.
- Unlimited Review to keep new skills fresh, locking concepts into their long term memory
- Gradebook & Progress Reports updated in real time so that you and your child can track progress and assignment details.
- LIVE online chat with expert instructors M-F 9 am – 4 pm ET. No need to set up a time, just hop on for extra help at your convenience!
Whether you are a home educator looking for a complete math curriculum or a parent whose child is struggling in school and are in need of an online tutor, UnLock Math works to improve your child’s confidence, ability, mastery of concepts, and has been designed with your needs in mind.
Completely online. Easy to navigate. Available anytime.
Utilizing the most advanced Testing & Assessment anywhere. UnLock Math will put your child into a safe virtual classroom where they are the only student. No distractions. Just math. With a Passionate Math Teacher who has a proven ability to engage students and give them the skills needed to succeed, You can relax and leave teaching math to us. It’s what we love. We look forward to unlocking your child’s math potential!
UnLock Math Success Story by Ontario Creates
“I was certain we could do it!” – Alesia Blackwood
With the support of the Ontario Creates Interactive Digital Media Fund, UnLock Math has developed and designed exceptional digital learning content that now serves students in over 99 countries. Alesia and Matthew, co-founders of UnLock Math and their team are always improving their online learning platform to better serve students.